9/27/2008

It's a Rainy Weekend! Go to the Coney Island Film Festival!

A blurry yet atmospheric photo of the fab entertainers of Coney Island Sideshows by the Seashore
A reminder that the Coney Island Film Festival is going on this weekend and with rain in the forecast for the whole weekend it’s the perfect thing to do. I attended the opening last night which kicked off with documentary short “Down the Hatch: The life teachings of John “Red” Stuart” and documentary feature “Sideshow Still Alive”. Both films were about the unique lives of the sideshow performer, I saw more sword swallowing, fire breathing, glass walking and nails hammered in to nostrils within 90 minutes than I have seen in my entire life. And it continued LIVE at the opening party entertainment provided by the performers of Coney Island’s Sideshows by the Seashore crew. Outside I schmoozed with filmmaker Juan C. Lopez and burlesque performer Little Brooklyn who performed an unusual and stunningly choreographed routine involving a gorilla and a banana at the party. As usual a friendly crowd and a splendid time appeared to be had by all.

So, it’s 1:30 pm on Saturday now (and FIB has no internet at home and is blogging from the library, now THAT'S dedication!) and there are still more than a 100 shorts, docs and features running through 8pm tomorrow night. Check it out! Here is the schedule! On my way back out there now!

2 comments:

MaryRuth said...

wow...this looks fantastic! However I don't think I could watch the nose-nailer live or on film!
I thought of you when I went to see a Brooklyn-based band the other night..."Chicha Libre". They are awesome....I had the album for a while, so it was extra-special to see the live show. Check them out if you haven't already.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the old gorilla/banana routine, a burlesque classic. Anyway, FIB, you can use our internet connection anytime. We have better coffee than the library anyway.