12/29/2007

Best Architectural Blunder of 2007

Since it’s the end of year and everyone is making their lists of “Bests” and “Worsts”. I am going to put my vote in for this as “Best Architectural Blunder”. The people of Carroll Gardens and the Gowanus have been subjected to this postmodern Scarano sculpture for way too long. I say dismantle it! Or keep it as is. I’ve sort of gotten used to it in a sick way. It sort of looks like something I saw in the New Museum last month!

Check out how this hulking thing towers over the little 19th century row house that always goes all out in the decorating department for EVERY holiday. I suppose the new condo residents will think them “quaint”. That is, if the little house survives upcoming construction as I heard the D.O.B gave Scarano the O.K to start working on it again.

While I'm on the subject, the "Department of Buildings" goes down as the "Most Corrupt City Office", well one of the most, there are many. Doesn't matter that people have died on his building sites, neighboring homes have been destroyed, families have been displaced or that he has self certified and has built buildings way taller than he is supposed to; the City of New York says "Let him continue to build!", something is veeerrrry fishy here, don't you think?

The whole situation is mired in corruption, I hope someone blows the roof (literally and figuratively) of the Department of Buildings house soon.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

I like your idea of just leaving the building as it is as a warning to other rogue architects who take advantage of nice little brownstone neighborhoods!

Lisanne said...

Although it is hideous and I'm sure the neighbors on the block would LOVE it, if it were dismantled!

Anonymous said...

Great picture. Just look at the monster next to those 2 story buildings!

Anonymous said...

The developer also bought that little house - it was also owned by Regency.
This is one of the best pictures I have seen of this eyesore. It really puts it into perspective.

Lisanne said...

Thanks, it looks ridiculous doesn't it?

I wonder if he also owns that house on the corner of Bond and Carroll that looks like it is leaning into his other project (you know, the one that looks like a bunker/museum and has attack dogs on the premises?) It amazes me that people have been living there throughout the demolition of the former buildings and throughout the very loooooong building process.. i think they have had that sidewalk blocked up for 2 years now.

Anonymous said...

I think the owner of Regency might also own that house. It is rental units.
I am all too aware of the bunker. I wonder what they did to cure their little water problem.