2/04/2007

Last Sunday



I found both of these treasures last Sunday when it was actually warm enough to walk outside. These were found on Carroll Street between 5th & 6th Avenues. If you break plates as much as I do you can understand how thrilled I was to find this!! I happen to collect melamine and this particular pale turquoise sandwich plate is by Melmac dinnerware of Boonton N.J. Melamine is a a molded plastaic invented in the late 1930's. It was hugely popular in the 1950's. I could go on and on about melamine, in fact I have a fabulous reference book (WHICH I FOUND ON THE STREET!)called ' "Art Plastic" "Designed for Living"' which has much more fascinating info on other molded plastic & resin items from the past.


In front of the same house I also found this fab brass rococooesque picture frame. This is no chintzy fake made in China, this was made in Italy baby, perfect for an old black & white photo of your ancestors. I may put art in it though, I'll let you know.


No comments: