What is the Mermaid Parade?
"The Mermaid Parade celebrates the sand, the sea, the salt air and the beginning of summer, as well as the history and mythology of Coney Island, Coney Island pride, and artistic self-expression. The Parade is characterized by participants dressed in hand-made costumes as Mermaids, Neptunes, various sea creatures, the occasional wandering lighthouse, Coney Island post card or amusement ride, as well as antique cars, marching bands, drill teams, and the odd yacht pulled on flatbed."
This year the Mermaid Queen is performance artist/musician Laurie Anderson and King Neptune is LOU REED!! (Who whatofthought?)
This is the route!
* The Parade will start at West 21st Street and Surf Avenue
* The Parade will roll east to West 10th Street
* at West 10th Street the Parade will turn south towards the boardwalk
* cars and motorized floats can park on West 10th Street
* At the Boardwalk, the marchers and push-pull floats will turn west and head towards Stillwell Ave.
* At Stillwell Ave. the Parade will disband
Go to this website for more info..you can STILL REGISTER to MARCH!
Read here about when F.I.B marched in the year 2000! (Last year I volunteered read about that here)