7/10/2007

F**K JACK, WCBS is Back!!!!!

Don't know if anyone cares about this, but I do! WCBS is coming back!!!!! I remember the day when something did not seem quite right. WCBS was always on my radio and all of a sudden after playing a very non CBS song, I heard the announcement for JACK FM. As the cliche goes, you could of knocked over with a feather, and I was at a loss for days afterwards. I was walking around going, "can you believe CBS is gone?!" I GREW UP with WCBS, half the DJ's used to be on WABC AM which played all the classic 70's pop songs of my childhood. It was a given that it would always be there, when it got taken over by a computer DJ named "Jack" it REALLY affected me. No more Bill Brown? No more DooWop shop? What?!! Well it's coming back on Thursday. The website has a minute by minute countdown. I heard they aren't playing any 50's music though, maybe that will change. I feel better about NYC today.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A sad thing, a day at a NY beach without any WCBS...glad they're back!

Anonymous said...

cops & old pizza guys love wcbs too, hah. now here's a question for the new yorkers among us--

who by choice or circumstance listened to WnnNNNNNBC when they were top 40? Captain Frank, Bibi "I am BiBi" etc etc. it was a great-- & ridiculous-- era, even if i was not a top 40 fan.

wwib

Lisanne said...

Well if you are talking NY AM radio, we were more of a WABC family, I distinctly remember my mother turning the radio off in the middle of Rod Stewart's "Tonite's the nite" appalled...ha ha...WOR was ALWAYS on in the kitchen, but i do remember WNBC.

Anonymous said...

holy fuck-- i hated the Gamblings, all of them, tho' it is good for weirdness value to have heard "Dr." Bernard Meltzer all those years... what did he give away, t-shirts or mugs? apparently i absorbed just NONE of his financial advice. i vaguely recall a WOR weekend evening story show or some kind of scary thing but maybe i dreamt it, or it only happened once?

WNBC was pretty tortorous but that era of radio, when a "personality" only had to say "I am Bibi"... i remember when WPLJ was a big deal too for "rock."

when did WABC switch to talk? if there isn't already, there should be a Drew Friedman comic about Harry Harrison.

Lisanne said...

Yes, the Gamblings were sooo annoying, "Rambling with Gambling" and Bernard Meltzer was always like, "Mama calm down...." some sort of advice show, my mother and grandmother were really into it. Obviously I heard waaaaay too much WOR , (my mother worked me in the kitchen) i even remember Ralph Snodsmith..my younger brother used to mock it constantly...yeah it would make a great Drew Friedman cartoon...