7/27/2007

Found in Brooklyn.


It’s been a long time since I’ve hauled in some treasures from the street. That was my original idea for this whole blog and then I got attention deficit disorder and it turned to into something else. Maybe it is because I have been actually employed with one and a half jobs for the past 4 months and did not have the leisure time to roam the streets. I have been jobless for the past two weeks and I am finding stuff again.

This week I found a lot of books and there seems to be a common theme. SEX. Who knew that Carroll Gardens had it’s mind in the gutter and put it’s books there too?

Here is some of my haul (which were not found all at the same locations).

“Man’s Search for Himself” by Rollo May. This is my second copy found in the streets of Brooklyn!

Rollo says:
The Victorians had all the answers even about sex. They repressed it. We have no answers anymore but we do have a sexual revolution that’s going full blast…., the hydrogen bomb, the death of God, the military draft, and the Organization Man. We’re the hollow people in a brave new world-out of touch with our times…and with our selves.

Rollo May is also the author of “The Meaning of Anxiety.” Maybe I will find that next, but I am going to try and not get too anxious about that.

I also found the classic existentialist book “The Stranger” by Albert Camus.

“The Puttermesser Papers” by Cynthia Ozick.

“The Bermuda Triangle” by Charles Berlitz.

“101 Nights of Grrreat Sex” by Laura Corn, a book which is all about rekindling your sex life with chapters entitled:

“Leave it to Beaver”

” Where Nobody Knows Your Name”

”Taken by Surprise”

” The Gee! Stroke!”

"Somebody Stop Me”

”Under the hood, Cowboy”

”Slavetime!”

"Tool Time”

and about 90 more, it IS 101 nights of Grrreat Sex after all!

I must mention that whoever owned this book, bookmarked the chapter called “Morning Glory”.


The prize book is a paperback from the 60’s called “A Hot Property” by Judy Feiffer.

The description of the story on the cover goes like this: A mother and daughter claw their way in to the sex lives of the literary lions!”

Russell Baker reviewed it and he said:"A very dirty book, also wicked and funny, and I read it through in one sitting.”

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hitting the streets ** is ** work; FIB is just self-employed a while!

wwib

Anonymous said...

Russell Baker reviewed THAT? and read it one sitting?!

Anonymous said...

Funny, I just found a huge pile of books on Dean Street and, on the same day, another heap on Union. I had to restrain myself from taking more than I could carry (or read). Later that day, found a Rawlings baseball mitt in a subway station and, two days later, a framed portrait of Ganesh. Perhaps you've been distracted, but I'm on roll.

Lisanne said...

anulla-there is more than enough for everyone...i am impressed with the rawlings baseball mitt, i still have mine from when i was in the CYO (Catholic Youth Organization and also Ganesh(spelled wrong i',tired) why would anyone throw out him? we need all the protection we can get these days...

amanda bee said...

I found the puttermesser papers on the street this summer, too. How does that happen?

Lisanne said...

I guess people really feel the NEED to spread that one around...i started to read it..it seems pretty entertaining...