1/18/2008

Vampira 1921-2008

I'm going extremely off topic here but I'm a little sad to hear that Vampira born Maila Nurmi in Finland went to the otherside recently.

I've always had a fascination for her. I dug her Charles Adamsy beatniky vibe. This years Coney Island Film Festival screened a fantastic documentary on the golden age of television horror hosts called American Scary which I saw on opening night. I mentioned in my blog post that I hounded the producer, Sandy Clark, for more info on Vampira. I actually entertained this little fantasy (and my friends can attest to it), that I was going to go to L.A and meet her. She had ended up somewhat destitute and was apparantly easy to approach despite being an american icon. There is not one book written on her life and I wanted to write it. Well I missed the boat on that one, but you know, it probrably would have remained a movie in my head anyway. I read in her obit that her friends and fans are trying to raise money to bury her in "Hollywood Forever" cemetery. I hope Tim Burton steps in and takes care of it, he OWES her BIG TIME!

Her death wasn't really big news to the world so I just thought I'd say something.

Sweet Dreams Vampira!

2 comments:

Chris Kreussling (Flatbush Gardener) said...

This is the first I've heard. Don't know what all those other bloggers are writing about.

All I can say is: Plan 9 From Outer Space. She will be missed.

Lisanne said...

Yeah, they don't make them like her anymore. She had a very very interesting life, she actually dated Orson Welles and also was a model for Man Ray!