6/26/2007

Joan Jett & the Blackhearts * Free Show Thursday at the Hudson River Piers

I went to a high school that actually DISCOURAGED me to go to college! I remember going to the guidance counselor and she was pointing me in the direction of "trade school". Maybe it was because I usually failed my math & science finals and had to go to summer school. I dunno, I do know that I always did great in art(and english)so it was logical for me to try and do something with that. At the time (1981) Graphic Design was called "advertising art" actually I didn't even know what it was but I did know that I had to make a living somehow, the concept of just painting or creating art was a foreign concept! Anyway,so I find out that in order to get into an "advertising art" program I have to show a "portfolio". What's a portfolio? In retrospect I can really look back at my art teachers and say that they were completely self involved and really didn't give a crap about their students. I figured out what a portfolio was on my own. I did 18 x 24 charcoal drawings of all my favorite rock stars, Joan Jett was among them, I also drew Richard Butler from the Psychedelic Furs and Joe Strummer from the Clash. In addition I did a woodcut of Johnny Lydon (aka Rotten) playing the fiddle with flames behind him (this one actually won an award in a high school art competition!)and a silk screen of the Ramones. Well, I could go on about the uselessness of the adult population in my high school but that is not the point of this post.

Despite the fact that I was compelled to do a portrait of Queen Joan, I have NEVER seen her live. I will on Thursday night at the Hudson River Piers at West 13th Street or thereabouts. I would of posted a current picture but I am saddened by the fact that she has gotten "work" done and looks like a cross between Courtney Love and Steven Tyler, WHY Joan? WHY? I know (well I've HEARD, I never seen her live) that she still rocks the socks off the kids more than half her age so I will forgive her....

3 comments:

Kelly said...

My God! I had forgotten about her. She was popular when I was in High School too.
And I ended up in art school after spending my senior year working on a portfolio. When I am back from South Carolina, we should meet for coffee.

Anonymous said...

ooof. there was a picture in, i think, the Post last week also, Joan looked like a... buff-era Springsteen in drag, w/tats... & i like ink but i fucking HATE Springsteen. it's tuff to believe it was the same Joan Jett who produded The Germs!

Lisanne said...

Yeah I was going to mention that she produced the Germs and some other people (to promote her goodness and to forgive her for her "look" for the past couple years since coming out of the closet) but I didn't get into it...hey she was a Runaway)as in the band...but then she lived with her manager & his wife (Kenny Laguna) on L.I for like 20years so I really can't figure her out...stay tuned for the review.....