6/11/2007

T.C.B

I've had some requests for more Memphis photos, well since I forgot my charger I was strictly disposable on my pilgrimage and guess what? Hardly anything came out! Here is that pool I was talkin' about, the motel I stayed at even though it was a chain, The Day's Inn, was a freakshow and I felt right at home. There were rockabilly couples well into their 60's from Europe, couples that looked sort of Elvis and Priscilla like and there was even actress, Suzanna Leigh, who was in one of Elvis's movies ("Paradise: Hawaiian Style") hawking her self published book at breakfast, for $45.00 you could buy her book AND a picture with her AND a cardboard cutout of Elvis. Here is a quote from Ms. Leigh:
"Elvis' kisses held an intensity that melted my very being. I slipped my arms around his neck and our bodies entwined. This was all madness, but we didn't stop. A person could go to the gallows with such a kiss lingering on their lips, knowing life had been good."
Life is all good for her 'cause she kissed the King! I kissed Joe Strummer once (that's ALL that happened so stop thinking those thoughts right now!) and I have to say my head was spinning for a couple days. That could ME in a few years, I could write a book about the night I met Joe Strummer in a bar in the East Village at three in the morning, I have to get working on that cardboard cutout!
This is another photo that came out only because it was outside, Elvis ate here and he had his own private booth for him and his "Memphis Mafia". It was really cool inside, they didn't seem to change much. I actually ate a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich (Elvis's favorite) at the wedding I went to and as a vegetarian I found it too be quite delicious, full of protein and potassium too!.This where it all ends. I have to say Graceland was quite small, I had this vision of a huge mansion with enormous unpenetratable gates. His house is the size of a McMansion in Long Island or New Jersey, the gates are only about 7 feet tall. There is a wall outside the house completely covered with grafitti odes to Elvis.The interior of the house was a 70's time capsule, shag carpeting. mirrors, TV sets and ashtrays everywhere, I have to say although it is a huge tourist attraction, they run the operation in a very respectful downhome manner, I definitely dug it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much for a night at the Day's Inn? (and phone # please!)
signed,
an Elvis fan

Lisanne said...

Elvis fan, if you are indeed serious,it was ridiculously cheap.
Go onto one of those travel sites and type in "Day's Inn Graceland" located on Elvis Presley Blvd. Keep in mind it is absolutely dead there at night and you have to drive somewhere to do anything fun, unless hanging out at Taco Bell is your idea of fun! You can always hang out by the pool or watch the 2 stations that play Elvis movies 24 hours a day too. I saw "Speedway" "World's Fair"(one of his worst)and "Kid Galahad".